Wednesday, April 5, 2017

TFBT Quotes and LInks, Part XXIII



 
"It was with [Medusa] that the azure-haired god lay in the soft meadow, and amid the flowers of spring.” Theogony 27   Poseidon had blue hair?

"It is unclear how or why written text of the (Iliad and Odyssey) would be seen as authoritative in a...oral culture." http://t.co/GPIx0AzoEN

"It is I; be not afraid.” John 6:20 http://t.co/7fKHzQpO
 
"It is a commonplace of our own time that a committee cannot edit a text, much less create one." Lamberton's Hesiod

"It had to be that one of the royal Aeacids (Pyrrhos) be (buried) inside the most ancient grove (Delphi). Pindar N.44-45

"Inquisitors...contributed to (Baffo's) celebrity...Their persecutions caused his manuscript works to become precious." Casanova,

"In vain shalt thou twang the noisy bowstring, making melodies that bring neither wine nor food nor fee" LYCOPHRON, ALEXANDRA 139, transl. A. W. Mair

"In the midst of the storm, Jesus gazes at his disciples and glances at the storm." Pastor Earl Midkiff

"In his only one respect are Thetis and Eos distinguished...Unlike Eos, Thetis communicates to Achilles some fore-knowledge." Laura Slatkin

"In Greek the connection is more immediate; if truth is memory, forgetfulness is a kind of lying." Nisetich in Pindar's Victory Songs

"Immortal and unaging, just as the gods are." “These words are the "correct" formula for immortalization; “Nagy Best-of-the-Achaeans.


"Ill-gotten gains bring more men to disaster than to safety" Antigone 314
"Ignore that man behind the curtain!" commanded the Great and Powerful Wizard of Oz.
"If you are mortal...come closer to meet destruction's bounds the quicker." The Iliad

"If it is my (Ares’) fate to be struck by Zeus’ thunderbolt and to lie together with the corpses in the dust.” Iliad XV 117-118

"If any word has been spoken that was harsh, may the storm-winds straightway snatch it and bear it away" Odyssey 8:407

“Remember your father!” Priam begs.

Therefore, I wouldn't wish to fight against the blessed gods.  Iliad 6.141

"I, the Lord, do not change" (Mal. iii. 6); http://t.co/qtLHicS1xF

"I, I whom Thou has made of smokeless flame should do reverence to this creature of clay?"  Surah 7:12 and 38:76

"I would, with your permission, pluck out his eyes and feed them to the dogs along the dusty roads of Thebes" The Flanders Panel Perez-Reverte

"I will honor in my mind the fortune that attends me from day to day, tending it to the best of my ability." Pythian 3, Pindar

"I fell down in Lemnos, and there was not much life left in me." Iliad I 593, Hephaistos

"I don't like it, I think, because I've somehow forgotten it.  I must remember." Diana Abu-Jaber, "The Language of Baklava"

"I don’t know where he comes from. But,   I know where he is going; he’s going to Hell." A. Dumas. The Count of Montecristo

"I don't grab boys." a girl student informed me when I suggested she chose a dance partner.  But she had no objections to me pairing her up.

"I don't care who dies in the movie, as long as the dog survives." https://t.co/l91YfEyAVs

"I am running a little late." often means an hour late.

"I am not afraid. I was born to do this.” Joan of Arc

"How strange and solitary it is to suddenly awaken one morning on the other side of the world."  Diana Abu-Javer

"Hesiod...warns against crossing a river without washing wickedness from one's hands." http://t.co/KrHSAuv4

"Hera kindled in/the demi-gods a sweet all-conquering passion to sail aboard the Argo/to win/a cure for death itself in/renown."  Pythian 4

"Her voice was deep, slightly husky.  The echo of a heavy night. "The Club Dumas by Reverte

"Her I will not set free. Sooner shall old age come upon her...in Argos, far from her Father land" (Iliad 1.29 and 30) Agamemnon is cruel!

"Hephaestus’ fall (Iliad I 593) nearly kills him-he had little life or breathe left in him afterward" Lorenzo F. Garcia Jr.

"Helen more lovely than the Moon."  Troy by Nick McMarty

"He who is skillful with the dagger lives to be a veteran."  Perez-Reverte

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” John 8:7   Isn't that a great line?

No comments:

Post a Comment