Saturday, August 10, 2013

VftSW: A Great New Journey for Me!


“Men must be noble as well as righteous.  There is an aspiration to fulfill the possibilities inherent in being human, despite the loss of intimacy with the gods.  The way back was to aspire to greatness, the reward for which was immortality in the Blessed Isles, where sorrow had no place.”   Richard G. Geldard, The Travelers Guide to Ancient Greece

 Alexander Graham Bell said “When one door closes another door opens, but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.”  I regretfully deleted all my links and shortcuts to “The Ancient Greek Hero in 24 Hours” website.  The class is finished.  The students departed like autumn leaves on the winter wind.  Yet, I still long for the door to open again.  However, a new door has opened, to break my futile routine of false hope and dwindling notes on the message board; vacation!  Along with it several five hours flights. 

 What every will I do?  To quote Richard G. Geldard “There came a time when intimacy was lost.  In order to recapture (it), man developed revelatory rituals of feasting, music, dance and sacrifice…”   So what will my new rituals be?   

·        First, to close the door on some of my old routine.  Atop my bed stand perches a dozen books neither better than “The Iliad” nor better than my textbook for H24H.  (Don’t let Prof. Nagy know, but I read only that the last couple of chapters. By the way; ridiculously good price for a textbook.  )  None of those dozen’s authors or the hundreds before, offered interpretations that made so much sense to me as Nagy’s do.  Time to concentrate my reading on what’s important. 
·        Second over time, my treasury of tidbits grows; 737 tweets, the eighty-five pages of the unfinished “To Limn the Sacred” and all of those notes for the book.  Time to do something with all them.
·        Thirdly, “The Reading Course in Homeric Greek” isn’t reading itself. 

This vacation opens the door on a great new journey for me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment