Sunday, April 25, 2010

TLtS: A Red Headed Man Herding Cats

I don't know what this means. I didn't imagine it. I was coming around a corner downtown and slowed to miss a red headed guy headed to the harbor to jig for herring. (Herring is a little fish we use for bait. You can tell when someone is going jigging because they have a bucket and a fishing pole with a jigging lure on it.) He had a dog with him. "Oh, he has two dogs." No, it was a cat, they were both cats. Now, as I almost run into a parked car, I realize he has three cats. He is ushering them to the curb to make room for me. Really, I didn't dream this. Any ideas what it means?

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm I must ponder this one. Perhaps this gentlemen had a really good "man's best friend" that he had lost. Cats are free wonderers. They don't have to rely on us humanoids. They aren't as easily attached to us as we may be to them or as we are to our canine best friends. Here is my other theory. They don't belong to him. They have become accustomed to this man's routine of jigging. They expect him to come, they wait for him, they know he will arrive. As he jigs, he throws them treats. They are homeless and he is their one best friend. They bring him some joy during his normally mundane task of jigging for his bait. That's the best I can do.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the red head is a pied-piper sort of guy. The cats are there everyday to show him unconditional friendship. In turn they get kindness and treats, something they don't get being homeless cats living on the street. They are always getting shooed off, objects thrown at them and chased by big dogs. The red head is their bright spot in the day, as they are for him. No committments. He strokes them, gives them treats. They curl around his legs and purr. Upon his departure, they all have something to look forward to on his next return. All of God's creatures need something to look forward to in their days ahead.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete