Monday, October 29, 2018

TFBT: The Rape of Leucippus’ Daughters


I like Ruben’s painting “The Rape of Leucippus’ Daughters”.  I always have, but today I wondered why.



Thought I would try a little analysis.

Basic story is two big beautiful women out skinny-dipping get snatched up by two guys on horseback. The girls look distressed

Symbolically voluptuous women represent the fertility and abundance of the land.  And these babes are wearing expensive jewelry and carrying beach towels of rich material. One man is dressed in armor the other looks like a working man.  Aristocrat and commoner?  Metis and Bia? And horses, they are stealing the wealth of the land and  carrying it away rapidly.  Until my twenties I had a nightmare-inducing fear of poverty.

Hilaeira and Phoebe are distressed about leaving what they know; home and some really annoying fiancees.  But they will be accompanied by Metis and Bia, become the Queens of Sparta and ascend to Olympus as goddesses.

1 comment:

  1. They look distressed, but I do not see any real resistance :-).

    ReplyDelete