Saturday, February 24, 2018

VftSW: He is Going to Leave his Wife for Me.

Kathy said, "He is going to leave his wife for me."


My grandmother had heard this so often from Kathy, that she just nodded, smiled sweetly and changed the subject.  Kathy didn't appreciate it when my grandmother pointed out that she'd been hearing this for years, that Kathy never spent Christmas with him, Thanksgiving, vacation, Valentine's day and only occasionally did he celebrate Kathy's birthday with her.  I think what really aggravated my grandmother about the whole thing was the number of times that she and Kathy had plans that abruptly got cancelled because he was suddenly available. 


In retrospect, maybe that was the kind of relationship Kathy wanted.  Clearly she wasn't good at making commitments to her friends, maybe she didn't want to have to commit to a man. 


I once referred to Kathy as my grandmother's best friend.


"She's not my best friend. "


"You two spend all sorts of time together.  You probably hit the town twice a week together.  How is she not your best friend.?" 


My grandmother sighed, as though a little disappointed that she had to explain the concept of a "best friend" to her college age grandson.


"So say I have an emergency in the middle of the night and I call Kathy to come over.  It will take her two hours to show up.  Cause first she'll shower, pick out an outfit, fix her hair and put on her make-up." 


I nodded, seeing how that was possible.


"Now if I call Marjorie, (Another friend she spoke of fondly and often, but not someone she hit the bars with.) Marjorie will show up in five minutes; wearing her robe and slippers, hair in curlers and shotgun in hand."


So,  who is your best friend?







1 comment:

  1. Good description of best friend! My best friend has picked my child from me when I needed it.

    ReplyDelete