Tuesday, May 23, 2017

TFBT: Unknown God



My daily devotional “Christ in our Home” discussed the following scripture; 
 “Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars’ hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.  For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, to the Unknown God.”  Acts 17:22-23
 I knew the scripture, but didn’t recall other ancient text discussing the Unknown Gods among the Greeks.  Quick google search found this; 
 "Circe turned to prayers and incantations, and unknown chants to worship unknown gods, chants which she used to eclipse Luna's (the Moon's) [Selene's] pale face and veil her father's [Sol-Helios the Sun's] orb in thirsty clouds." Ovid, Metamorphoses 14. 365 ff 
Much more research revealed a mother-load of research on the topic.  What follows, I believe is Jame Frazer’s commentary on Unknow Gods from Pausanias's Description of Greece, translation with a commentary by J.G. Frazer  





No comments:

Post a Comment