Wednesday, July 27, 2016
Saturday, July 23, 2016
- “the wife of Ixion, who bare Peirithous, the peer of the gods in counsel”
- “Danaë of the fair ankles, daughter of Acmsius, who bare Perseus, pre-eminent above all warriors”
- “(Europa) daughter of far-famed Phoenix, that bare me Minos and godlike Rhadamanthys.”
- “Semele bare Dionysus, the joy of mortals”
- “Alcmene in Thebes, and she brought forth Heracles, her son stout of heart,”
- “Demeter, the fair-tressed queen;
- “Glorious Leto”
- The first is an unnamed mortal woman with no family of conseuqence.
- Danaë is a mortal woman and via her son Ancestress of most the royal families of Greece.
- Europa is a mortal woman and descendant of the Nymph Telephassa, whose sons became daemons in the Underwold. (More on this later but the descendants of Telephassa produced an unusually high number of gods and goddesses. They were more than merely human.
- Semele was a moral woman and descendant of Telephassa and her son became an Olympian god.
- Alcmene a mortal woman, wed to a descendant of Telephassa and her son attained Olympus too.
- Demeter, was a second-generation Titaness.
- Leto was also a second generation Titaness.
- Number two; Danae is the great-grandmother of Number 5 Alcema
- Number three; Europa is the aunt of Number four Semele.
- Number four: Semele is aunt to the fourth generation of the husband of number five Alceme
Tuesday, July 19, 2016
One of these golden apples of the Hesperides was tossed into the reception hall during the wedding of Peleus and Thetis. Upon it was engraved “For the Fairest.” Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite each vied for the apple and the title. Zeus ordered Hermes to escort the threesome to the shepherd Paris on Mt. Ida, to be judged by him.
Get the picture here; three goddess and a man under a tree and a golden apple. Hera promised to make him king of all men; Athena promised him victory in war; and Aphrodite got naked promised him the most beautiful woman who ever lived as his wife. Naturally, he chose Aphrodite. The destruction of his nation and death of most everyone he knew followed. (Pseudo-Apollodorus, Bibliotheca E3. 2)
(Atlanta) “made it the condition that every suitor who wanted to win her, should first of all contend with her in the foot-race. If he conquered her, he was to be rewarded with her hand, if not, he was to be put to death by her. This she did because she was the most swift-footed among all mortals, and because the Delphic oracle had cautioned her against marriage. Meilanion, one of her suitors, conquered her in this manner. Aphrodite had given him three golden apples, and during the race he dropped them one after the other. Their beauty charmed Atlanta so much, that she could not abstain from gathering them. Thus she was conquered, and became the wife of Meilanion.” (Apollodorus Bibliotheca 3.9.2)
The "beauteous fruit of gold from the clear-voiced Hesperides…" was one of the bribes the Titans offered the godling Zagreus for his thunderbolt, just before they ripped him apart and ate him. (Clement, Exhortation to the Greeks 2. 15)
Heracles had a little better luck when he fetched the golden apples of the Hesperides as one of his famous labors. . He asked the Titan Atlas to pick the apples for him in exchange for holding up the sky
5. At one time everyone in the World was Greek. Okay maybe that is an over statement or not. Here is how it works. It is hard to believe, but there weren’t myriad people in the world once upon a time. So the hardy peninsula of Greece could sent out colonists to the shores of the Black Sea and all of the Mediterranean Sea without angering the new neighbors too much. Along comes Persia, attacking the Greeks and losing, attacking the Greeks and losing and then wiped out by Alexander the Great. Freed of oppression the Greek culture blossomed across the known world from the seeded colonies. So if you see those Greek neighbors doing well and your rulers are Greek, “What the hey! Yeah were Greek.” Not that I can find example now, but there are plenty of vases and sculpture with engraving and inscriptions on them that look like Ancient Greek lettering, but aren’t. If you didn’t have enough Greek to spell “Achilles” on the monument, you faked it. Alexander passed away but his generals and garrisons did not. The ruling class and business classes spoke Greek from the Indus River to the Straits of Heracles (Gibraltar). Cleopatra is not an Egyptian name, it is Greek. The Ptolemy family, descendants of one of Alexander’s generals, ruled the Nile. The phenomena is called Pan-Hellenism. Everyone in the known world wanted to be Greek. If you wanted into the Olympics you had to speak Greek. It was the Hellenistic Age. Eventually the Romans conquered the known world. Great engineers, lousy poets and artists. They adopted Greek culture in whole. It was a sad Roman of whom it was said, “He has no Greek.” Do you realize the New Testament was written in Greek? At the time of Caesar August, yeah, everyone spoke Greek.